I’ve been stacking up test systems these days, in anticipation of the Mebius finishing with its “stress test” of the CF card. It’s still running, believe it or not, with no errors or problems to report.
Half of these don’t have a snowball’s chance in Helechawa of actually running at 150Mhz on 32Mb, but I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
On top of that, I don’t expect the remaining half to know what to do with that Trident video card, the one that is trapped at VESA1.2, and needs a particular sort of coaxing to actually work.
Most of these are installed via Qemu, but a couple I actually booted into a live environment, then installed to USB disk and copied to a file with
dd. In any case, this is the short stack, if I can call it that. In no particular order …
- Feather Linux, which is a little outdated but should be possible.
- Linux Mint Fluxbox, which is an extreme long shot, but I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
- TurboPup, which is another possibility, and was a bit of a trick to install. That and TeenPup seemed like options; TeenPup wouldn’t install though because of package errors.
- Ubuntu 10.04, as a text-only system. This is mostly to see if it will start at all, and I have my doubts.
- Ubuntu 6.06.1, as a comparison to the above.
- TinyFlux 1.0, which is also dated, but intended for i586 machines and might do the trick.
- Slackware 3.3. I don’t know why. It just sounds crazy.
A couple of others sounded like good ideas, but aren’t as appealing because of size issues.
- Vector Linux, which sounded like a good idea but wants about 6Gb to install and that makes it unappealing.
- grml, which is “text-oriented,” if I can say that, but also wants a rather large space. I’ll try a smaller version, maybe.
- Lubuntu 10.10 alpha. But Ubuntu 10.10, if I remember right, is i686-only so it won’t matter if it works at such low specifications.
Of course, it will be a few days before I can try to mess with any of these. The Mebius is at 68 percent completion and it will need a bit more time before it’s done. I am patient.😀