In short …
- Yes, there will be a 7.10 release. It’s not there yet (or it wasn’t, at 00:00 UTC on 07/10/26)
- RC images are being tested, which is better than just dumping them on the public
- The 7.10 release candidate will use debian-installer (think: the alternate text-install version)
- The 7.10 final will have live and alternate CDs
- Anything else you hear is absolute rubbish 😉
Actually, I’m quite impressed. If Joe and Company can pull this off, it will go a long way toward a proper lightweight version of Ubuntu. This might be a project to invest some time in, particularly if light-fast-etc. are priorities for you.
So now it’s your turn (and mine) to put up or shut up. If it’s really that big a deal, get involved, as they say. I’ll wait for the RC and see if it’s something I want to chase. Maybe I’ll finally be able to shake off my irritation with Xubuntu. 🙄