I’m not sure what to blame, but my boot times and system responsiveness seem to have crept upward since the earlier builds I made on this machine. I have a feeling I’ve gotten a little too accustomed to eye gadgets and deviated from pure speed and performance on this machine.
I’ve been adding things like the alsa daemon or the acpi daemon, for vain reasons that don’t add to performance. And those stunts with Xscreensaver and xcompmgr were fun to look at, but I want to make sure I’m not sacrificing the original goal for a snazzy desktop.
I’m going to step back and strip it down to the bare essentials again. I want to see what luck I have pushing this machine to its logical barrier for performance … which was the idea, originally.