Not everything works, every time

Not everything works like I expect it to. Even with top-end, full-featured distros, I sometimes run into difficulties I can’t explain or just didn’t predict.

For example, I used to be enamored with Brasero. On a day-to-day basis I rely on Recorder, which is a much more expedient program, but if I’m in Ubuntu (which was the case the other day), Brasero usually satisfies.

Except this time, with 10.10, every time I tried to copy from audio disc to audio disc using my USB DVDRW, the program halted. No error message, no warning report … just poof, and it was gone.

Which was strange to me, even though I am accustomed to things acting funny on the machines I cobble together. But this was Ubuntu, this was “just works.” I must be doing something wrong, I thought.

I tried starting it from the terminal emulator, in hopes of getting some more information. And that’s when it complained that cdrdao wasn’t installed.

I am a patient and generous person, so I installed cdrdao from the terminal. But Brasero still complained that it wasn’t available.

At that point, I figured there were more options than just Brasero. Long ago, Gnomebaker was Ubuntu’s weapon of choice, and installing that took only a few seconds.

But in this case, Gnomebaker wanted to take an hour to convert an entire CD to digital files, before burning the copy. An hour seemed like a very long time. :(

So as a troubleshooting measure, and because I couldn’t find a speed setting for the conversion process in Gnomebaker, I installed Sound Juicer (also a past Ubuntu golden child), and extracted the tracks to flac format in six minutes.

My adventure wasn’t over though. For some reason, I couldn’t add the audio tracks to Brasero, and when I did manage to force-feed it the flac files, it wouldn’t sort them unless I dragged them one-by-one into place.

There were 55 audio tracks. I don’t think so.

Back to Gnomebaker. Added the files. One-button sort the files. And then … Gnomebaker defaulted to a 21-minute CD (who has those?!) and spat out an error message again.

So finally, after about 15 minutes of backtracking and error trapping, I managed to get the CD burnt. It definitely was a lot more of a harangue than I anticipated, just to duplicate an audio CD.

But experiences like this are the exception for me, not the rule. This isn’t so much a critique of Ubuntu or Linux, as just a note that things don’t always go as planned. And that can happen to anybody, with any operating system. :)

About these ads

7 Responses to “Not everything works, every time”


  1. 1 tomas 2010/11/13 at 1:41 PM

    I had a similar problem on 10.10… i dont remember what i did tho, probably used another baker or smth.

  2. 2 bpalone 2010/11/14 at 12:19 AM

    Almost smells of DRM. Let’s not forget that Ubuntu/Canocial (sp?) has a music store front now. Purely speculation on my part.

  3. 4 anon 2010/11/19 at 7:59 AM

    I have a desktop with a CD writer and a DVD drive. All internal.

    Does this make me cool?

  4. 5 Mark R. 2010/11/21 at 4:24 AM

    I have a couple wodim scripts in ~/bin I often burn cd’s using them.

    Also, been a bit of fuddling around now that lame is free to go even with debian. I finally got sox to compile with lame support on Debian. Things might settle down, maybe lame comes in via a core instead of universe or whatever U uses these days. No more “lame” /usr/local/bin

    peace mark r


  1. 1 Three months is not a bad run « Motho ke motho ka botho Trackback on 2010/11/18 at 7:04 AM
  2. 2 Three mediocre attempts « Motho ke motho ka botho Trackback on 2010/12/06 at 11:24 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Welcome!



Visit the Wiki!

Some recent desktops


May 6, 2011
Musca 0.9.24 on Crux Linux
150Mhz Pentium 96Mb 8Gb CF
 


May 14, 2011
IceWM 1.2.37 and Arch Linux
L2300 core duo 3Gb 320Gb

Some recent games


Apr. 21, 2011
Oolite on Xubuntu 11.04
L2300 core duo 3Gb 320Gb

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts.

Join 405 other followers

License

This work is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Please see the About page for details.

Blog Stats

  • 3,960,871 hits

Archives


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 405 other followers

%d bloggers like this: