Stone Soup 0.6.0

That last post was way too negative, and since I have a two-day hiatus coming up and won’t be updating this site, I would rather leave something at the top of the page that’s a little more fun. This is the newest version of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, which recently got bumped to version 0.6.0:

That’s via telnet crawl.akrasiac.org, on a 120Mhz Pentium machine running Crux. As you might be able see in the lower corner, the memory and processor load are negligible, probably because the bulk of the responsibility is shifted off this machine and out into the ether. I have installed crawl directly on to this computer, but the work involved seems a bit overkill when I can just use telnet to jump into a game remotely.

And I know some other people have used Internet Explorer to telnet into the game and play, or so they told me. I have tried that in Firefox in Linux and come up empty-handed. :(

It’s worth reading the changes between version 0.5.2 and this one, since there are new gods and monsters, the attribute system has changed slightly, and an entire spell school is gone. If you’re used to playing with one particular set of spells or rules, things might be different now. Take a look at the wiki while you’re at it.

It’s also worth noting that the developers attribute the new release to a recent upsurge in interest in the game, and the number of people willing to contribute. Which is how the system should work, really. ;)

Enjoy!

P.S.: There is a tiled version too, if you can’t stomach the thought of playing a game at the console. … :)

About these ads

3 Responses to “Stone Soup 0.6.0”


  1. 1 zoev9 2010/04/05 at 1:52 AM

    A Stone Soup fan? I think it’s great too, but it seems that you have betrayed the cult of Nethack! Sacrilige!
    Stone Soup is more of hack’n-slash while nethack is more of a puzzle game with hack elements. They’re both wonderfuly beautiful (in tty of course) and get plenty of play time on my EEE 701.

  2. 2 Napkin 2010/05/24 at 7:16 AM

    Hi there! Happy to read you are enjoying Stone Soup once in a while :)

    Just wanted to let you know that we had to remove the ajaxterm to connect to and play on the servers inside a browser window because it was just too unreliable. Ajaxterm didn’t properly time out connections leaving a huge amount of interrupted games behind and due to connection limits it wasn’t allowing everyone to play either. So.. not your fault it didn’t work!

    Awesome to see how you put that 120Mhz box to good use :)

    Cheers!


  1. 1 Links 1/4/2010: MeeGo and GNOME 2.30 Are Out | Techrights Trackback on 2010/04/02 at 7:33 AM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Welcome!



Visit the Wiki!

Some recent desktops


May 6, 2011
Musca 0.9.24 on Crux Linux
150Mhz Pentium 96Mb 8Gb CF
 


May 14, 2011
IceWM 1.2.37 and Arch Linux
L2300 core duo 3Gb 320Gb

Some recent games


Apr. 21, 2011
Oolite on Xubuntu 11.04
L2300 core duo 3Gb 320Gb

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts.

Join 405 other followers

License

This work is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Please see the About page for details.

Blog Stats

  • 3,961,275 hits

Archives


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 405 other followers

%d bloggers like this: