An inconvenient truth

Like it or not, it’s a sad fact of the matter that I spend eight hours a day on a Windows XP system.

It’s not by choice, of course: My witless employer requires me to use it. I make my standard press for more open-source software, but my pleas fall on deaf ears.

And like it or not, I spend at least 20 minutes out of every day waiting for XP to reboot, log on again, set up again and get back to work. On bad days, that number can stretch to an hour.

So, out of fairness, here’s my desktop screenshot of my computer at work.

That’s a Gateway 2.26Ghz Pentium 4 system with a Geforce FX 5200 running dual monitors (I cut the right-hand monitor off), a standard 1Mbps ethernet card and 1.5Gb of RDRAM.

Boot time is an atrocious two minutes or so, once it validates across the network and reaches the desktop. Just the startup scripts for mounting network drives alone take about 45 seconds. It’s a nightmare.

I could have this thing online and surfing in less than 30 seconds with Linux, given an hour and an Ubuntu 6.10 CD.

But as you can see in the picture, I get my revenge in the style of some of the world’s best passive-aggressives. That’s not an error message on my desktop. That’s my wallpaper. :D

Do not go gently into that good night, friends.

About these ads

5 Responses to “An inconvenient truth”


  1. 1 icedmocha 2007/01/02 at 1:43 PM

    Funny. I once put a marquis on my PC that read “I wish I was a Mac.”

  2. 2 Mig 2007/01/02 at 2:26 PM

    70% of my I.T department at work haven’t heard of Linux. The other 30% are scared of it.
    There’s nothing worse when you’re a Linux user, to have to work with XP for your day job :/

    I like your wallpaper :) mine at work, is actually a screenshot of my linux at home – just to scare the willies out of the I.T staff if they walk past :)

    • 3 mulenmar 2009/05/23 at 4:50 AM

      Replying to a post this old is called “necromancy” in some forums, but I’ve GOT to add my slight disagreement here.

      There ARE worse things than to have to use XP on your day job. An unpatched Windows 95, and Windows Vista.

  3. 4 kmandla 2007/01/02 at 6:08 PM

    :D The best part of that wallpaper was when I called over an IT flunky and said, “Hey, I’m getting this Word error that won’t go away,” and then I clicked on it a bunch of times. He’s a good-humored fellow, and laughed quite a bit at that.

  4. 5 dosnlinux 2007/01/02 at 7:33 PM

    Haha, great wallpaper!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




Welcome!



Visit the Wiki!

Some recent desktops


May 6, 2011
Musca 0.9.24 on Crux Linux
150Mhz Pentium 96Mb 8Gb CF
 


May 14, 2011
IceWM 1.2.37 and Arch Linux
L2300 core duo 3Gb 320Gb

Some recent games


Apr. 21, 2011
Oolite on Xubuntu 11.04
L2300 core duo 3Gb 320Gb

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts.

Join 405 other followers

License

This work is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Please see the About page for details.

Blog Stats

  • 3,960,871 hits

Archives


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 405 other followers

%d bloggers like this: